Fancy education and what I did with it.
School of the Art Institute of Chicago
Design with Emerging Technologies
- "Ambient Envelope", 16 page explanatory book and prototype sculptures for a hand held object designed to be a customizable interface for personal technology. Included in juried exhibition "Navigation/Negotiation.
- "Chicago Area Network", A kiosk and portal design centered on putting accessible technology into public spaces to augment the informational landscape of Chicago. Included in juried exhibition "Chicago Architecture: Ten Visions" at the Art Institute of Chicago. My work was included in Doug Garofalo's pavilion.
SUNY College at Purchase
Painting, Photography, and Design
Materials & Samples
Close full-screen prototype window before proceeding to mobile view.
Mobile Learning Management System: View app wireframe
2015 - Current
User Experience Architect
- UX lead for an agile design and development team. Responsible for usability and accessibility for online research and purchase flows for small business insurance.
- Work with product owners to set up highly collaborative process flow within agile methodology that ensures consistent delivery. Process has become a company-wide design and development model.
- Advocate for user-centered thinking in planning stages.
- Design and conduct user tests. Determine acceptance criteria. Evaluate and present test results.
- Perform heuristic evaluations
- Set up A/B tests
- Build high or low fidelity Axure prototypes to model interaction and flow. Design layout and interaction for full screen, tablet and mobile pages. Prototypes used in user testing as well as development
- Perform full-stack visual and interaction design as necessary
- Consult and approve visual design and copy
- Work in tandem with front end & back end development as well as data services to verify early designs. Work with development team to ensure proper implementation of all interaction and design
- Adhere to corporate style guide
- Ensure accessibility standards are met
- HTML5, CSS3, Photoshop, Illustrator, Axure, Sketch, Sympli
2014 - 2015
User Experience and Interaction Design
- Interaction and Usability design for a online patent management software.
- Responsible for User Interface design of web interface for new products.
- Create product visual design and interaction models and test with users.
- Author extensive style guide detailing all UI elements' specifications and their use cases.
- Develop user personas based on research.
- Create wireframes and prototypes to model interaction flow through product. Work with development team to insure proper implementation of all interaction.
- HTML, CSS, Photoshop, Illustrator, Axure
2011 - 2014
User Experience and Interface Design
Epsilen, Connect EDU
- Visual and Interaction Designer, User Experience Team Lead for a company creating education management software.
- Responsible for User Interface of iPhone, iPad, Android & web interfaces.
- Conduct research and consolidate user data to shape product requirements and user experience design.
- Work with developers and product owners to storyboard interaction and refine requirements.
- Develop user personas based on research.
- Create prototypes and wire frames of interaction for developers. Perform UX review on completed work to insure that wireframes have been followed.
- Insure that all work is accessible to users who require assisting technology.
- Authored company style guide on best practices for use by developers, contractors and offshore teams.
- HTML, CSS, Photoshop, Illustrator, Axure, Omnigraffle, Twitter Bootstrap
2005 - 2011
Visual & Interaction Design, User Centered Design Team Lead
HP Autonomy, Chicago IL
- User Centered Design team lead. Head a team of researchers & designers. Work with man agement to increase team visibility and prioritize User Centered Design in product developement & life cycles. Assist with team work flow and prioritization. Spearhead team knowledge sharing.
- Visual Design lead of User Interfaces for web-deployed, iPhone, iPad, and clientside applications used across platforms & browsers. Applications include content management, enterprise management, digital asset management, search, and document management products used primarily (but not exclusively) within the legal and banking industries.
- Conduct research and consolidate user data in order to build wireframes in response to user issues.
- Develop a uniform, "Common Look and Feel User Interface" (CLF-UI) design for all current and new web & client deployed software products.
- Work with development teams across the US, Europe and Asia to insure that the "Common Look and Feel" is consistently adopted and that products adhere to usability heuristics. Created templates and graphic libraries so that both web-deployed and client-side applications can make the change easily.
- Work with engineering teams at newly acquired or partner companies to insure their interfaces are consistent with branding and interface standards.
- Coauthor company wide style guide so that engineers may create visually and behaviorally consistent interfaces across all products.
Contextual Design & Qualitative Research
InContext Enterprises, Inc., Concord, MA.
- Performed Contextual Inquiry by interviewing users, culling data from interview transcripts, and consolidating resulting information into data models that illuminated users' underlying needs.
- Developed User Personas, User Experience and User Interface solutions from the data.
- Modeled design solutions based upon users' discovered needs. Presented overview of data, design recommendations and final designs.
Freelance Interactive Design
- Storyboard, design and structure information within web sites. Design interfaces, animations, and illustrations. Perform timely site maintenance.
- Maximize user experience through research and testing. Insure that all web sites are Section 508 compliant.
- Project manage the entire process, continually communicating with clients. Design flexibly for both print and online use of designs.
1999 - 2003
Lecturer, Adjunct Professor
New England School of Art and Design at Suffolk University,
Massachusetts College of Art,
Bunker Hill Community College,
- Developed and taught curricula for undergraduate students in Multimedia, Animation, Design, Concept Building, Creativity, and Usability. Courses enable students to problem solve using professional standards.
- Developed supplemental workshops in writing and focusing project goals.
Video Editor, Graphic Designer
Core Group, Ltd., Boston, MA.
- Developed editorials Avid Media Composer for use in broadcast or corporate presentations.
- Performed video finishing, type design and video on-line in Discreet Logic Flame.
- Initiated, designed, wrote copy, and maintained the company website.
- Designed all print media, including brochures, Business cards and advertisements. Supervised printing process.
- HTML, Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, Fontographer, Avid Media Composer, Flame.
Interactive Design Proficiency
- Axure, Omnigraffle, HTML, CSS, Twitter Bootstrap, page layout and dynamic element creation and integration, streaming media integration, Expression, Flash, and Dreamweaver.
Graphics & Media Design Proficiency
- Photoshop, Sympli, Illustrator, InDesign, After Effects